Welcome To My Creative Journey- The Next Half Century

WELCOME TO MY CREATIVE JOURNEY - The Next Half Century
From knitting to cooking, jewelry making to painting, gardening to journaling, I love it all and would love for you to share it with me

Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Square Foot Garden

June 30, 2010 photo

I have so many different passions in my life,  I thought I might start to share some of them. Give my blog a little more personality......

I love to garden and have been doing so for over 30 years. I should be an expert, but I'm not. Do I still love it? Yes! Every year things seem to go "a-rye" in the fields but I never get discouraged. This year, however, I picked up a new Magazine "The Urban Farm".  Wow! What a great magazine.  I love it. I read through every page.

They had this wonderful article by Mel Bartholomew on how to grow a square foot garden. I have somewhat been doing the same thing over the last few years. My method, however, was more of the hodge podge garden and I never knew what was coming up were. But I really liked the idea of having little patches of plants here and there, rather than the straight row method.

Mel goes through his square foot garden step by step. It makes total sense and is really quite easy. So I thought this year I would give it a try.
July 30, 2010 photo

I LOVE IT!!!  I have hardly had to weed or thin out my plants. The varieties  I was able to put in the garden, almost doubled. It's also easy to reseed when one crop is done.
July 30, 2010 photos

Yes, after 30 years, I think I finally found my method and style of gardening that suits me.


Thanks Mel and the Urban Farm team!

15 comments:

  1. Oh I love how you have your garden. It looks so organized. I'll have to try this(O:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not been a gardener - but I would like to...just not sure about finding the time. The whispers to do it are getting louder though, so I am sure it will happen in the next year or two. I want to read more about the one foot garden - maybe it is what I need too! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an awesome garden!!It shows how much love and care you put into it:O) I ove flowers and my husband loves to grow tomatoes and such my dream is to have some land and do a pumpkin patch so in the fall I can have kids come in and pick their own:O) I have all my plants in pots right now thanx for sharing:O) Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  4. you really know what you're doing!! wow. it's obviously a labor of love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your garden! You are very lucky to have that space, it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! That is a seriously organized garden! And I'd never heard of that magazine. Congratulations ... looks like you're growing lots of beautiful goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful this is! Reminds me of my mum's garden. She loves to grow her own veggies not to mention her fruit trees!

    Congratulations on a wonderful labor of utter love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i am so jealous of your garden. i can.t get ANYTHING to grow in the 116 degree weather we have in arizona....great job on all the abundance.
    happy day.
    c

    ReplyDelete
  9. ohhh we are just starting a vege garden, the kids just love it...... thanks so much for your kind comment over at my blog xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the wonderful comment on my blog. I just started to garden on my balcony this year and I am so happy I don't have to worry about weeds. That is definitely an advantage to the smaller plots. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks beautiful, I love it. I also grow my own veggies, but mainly in half barrels and large containers since the snails can't get in there. And i love flowers and trees in the ground, so there's also a shade problem. I saw that magazine recently, while being in BC, but haven't looked for it here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome garden Carol! We only managed to do tomatoes this year and I'm still waiting for them to turn red. Hope you're having a great summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks beautiful. I planted 1 tomatoe plantthis year...it died. Not my year to garden. Yours is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Deer got my garden. Except the tomatoes hiding behind the bird netting next to the house--and it's been too cool for the tomatoes to ripen!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dropping by to say hello...
    I hope all is well and you are enjoying the wonderful fruits of your garden! Hugs from a fellow flyer!

    ReplyDelete